Monday, October 3, 2011

Flash Fiction - MenageMonday - Week 3

Yet another flash fiction contest. And I wonder why it is taking me so long to finish my novel or start a new one or get ready for NaNoWriMo...

Hosted by the lovely Cara Michaels at her blog: Defiantly Literate. This contest runs from 7am to 8pm EST, limit from 100-200 words, and has three prompts: a phrase, a picture, and usually a subject matter or person. Check out her blog for this week's prompts, or read my entry and see if you can guess what they are.

“So do you normally take girls to cemeteries on the first date, Nate?” Claudia asked.

Nate scratched his beard as he smiled. “Only the special ones.”

Claudia blushed and looked down at her lap.

“I find it comforting here,” he added.

Claudia cocked her head to one side, considering his words. “Why?”

“All of these people are at peace.”

“And this is really comforting for you?”

Nate nodded. “Yes, it really is.”

“I’d hate to see what’s uncomfortable for you,” Claudia quipped as she took a bite of her sandwich.

“Violence,” he replied quietly, his blue eyes sad as he looked around.

She didn’t comment, instead finished the last of the wine in her glass. Nate grabbed the bottle of wine sitting next to him and began to refill her glass. “Last call,” he teased.

Claudia rolled her eyes and smiled at her date. “What kind of work do you do, Nate?”

“Um, I’m a representative, an agent of sorts.”

“Oookay.”

“Most people know me by my full name, Thanatos.”

Claudia looked at him blankly.

“Seriously? Don’t they teach you anything in schools anymore? Thanatos, representative of Death? Anything?”

She shook her head.

Thanatos sighed and drank his wine.

1 comment: