Saturday, December 17, 2011

Flash Fiction Week of December 12th

Here's the flash fiction that I wrote this week. :)  The only one I missed out on was the #FridayPictureShow hosted by @JenD_Author. Work was so crazy yesterday that I didn't have a chance to get my prompt in. Another week.

#MenageMonday

Title: A Rose By Any Other Name

It was the Johnson City Transform-Your-Ride event. People came out far and wide with their cars, trucks, and crossovers modified to look like anything they could imagine and build and still operate as a vehicle.

In a huge parking lot, the vehicles were lined up like ducks in a row with groups of people surrounding each one. Interwoven the groups were off-duty cops who certified each entry was street legal.

Two of the most popular entries was a pink Jeep, outfitted to look like a pig, and a SUV made into a were-moose. While the pig was just painted and had some steel additions, the owner of the were-moose went all out.

The man stood proudly to the side of his were-wonder, describing to fans all the work he put into it, including the shag carpeting on the roof and sides of the car, horns made from ironwork, wrapped in felt, and the teeth wired to the grill of the SUV out of Styrofoam and lacquer.

Needless to say, the were-moose won. He took a bite out of the competition.

---------------------------------------------

#TuesdayTales

Title: Home Is Where the Heart Is

They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, except Hell isn’t some abstract place full of fire and brimstone. It’s here in Perdition, in this wretched town, full of wretched people.

When I arrived, I started out with a purpose to do great things, but ended up getting stuck and unable to leave. This town sucks the life out of you and leaves nothing but a vacant shell. You can see it in the eyes of those stuck here with me, as they go through the motions of living.

Is this really living or is this damnation?

---------------------------------------------------------

#5MinuteFiction
Title: The Difference A Year Makes

It was a new year. A new day. A new chance.

Would I waste it as I have years before?

It seemed as each year went by, I could only see the missed opportunities and missed chances. I never looked forward, only backward.

If I had only took that one job … if I only said yes to that date … if I had only turned left instead of right.
The list went on and on, always second guessing myself.

My psychologist said it was a lack of confidence. I questioned it, wondering if going to see him was the right choice.

Apparently I just proved his point.

This year was going to be different. The past was in the past. I couldn’t change what has already happened; I could only change what could happen.

This year was going to be different. I was tired of living in the shadow of my past, both good and bad.

This year was going to be different, and I was starting today.

--------------------------------------

#HumpDayChallenge

Title: The Wind of Change

“You can’t be serious about publishing this journal,” Dr. Spiner challenged the research scientist.

“What’s wrong with it?”

“You have molecules listed in the wrong categories!” the doctor shouted, tossing down the rough draft of the publication on the table. “The periodic table of elements isn’t a guesstimate, you idiot!”

Henry, the belittled research assistant, picked up his paper with a snort. “I know it’s not, Dr. Spiner, but my research is an important commodity to science. It reveals new information that will completely change how the world views the PTOE, which you would’ve known if you actually read it.”

--------------------------

#ThursThreads (brand new challenge started by @SiobhanMuir at http://siobhanmuir.blogspot.com/)
Title: The End Is Only The Beginning
Opening my eyes, something felt off, something nagged at the back of my mind … a flash of light, of metal. I was in my room, but not. I felt awake, but not. It was very strange. I got up and moved around, everything the same but somehow different.
The moment I stepped out of my bedroom, reality fell away. Before me was a vast hall, bright and luminous, full of all different kinds of people. A petite, red-headed woman walked toward me with a gentle smile.
“Welcome to the Otherside, Morgan.” she said.
“How do you know me?” I asked. “And who are you? What’s the Otherside?
“I’m Elleria. I’m here to show you around.”
“And here is?”
“The Otherside.”
“What?”
“The Otherside,” she repeated, patiently. “You died last night in a car accident. Now, you’re an angel.”
I sputtered, completely confused as I looked around at all the other people in the hall moving around with purpose.
“Are all these others … ?”
She nodded. “Yes. Contrary to popular belief, angels come in all shapes and sizes, with all kinds of wings.”
“Wings?” I looked behind me and didn’t see anything sprouting from my back.
“Not in the literal sense, Morgan. Your wings are your transportation when you are earthbound. It could be a car, a bike, anything. Come, it’s time to show you around.”
Utterly lost, I followed Elleria into the Otherside. 
---------------------------------------------
Till  next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment