Saturday, January 21, 2012

Flash Fiction Week of January 16th

As I continue with #WIP500 hosted by the delightful Cara Michaels, I try to keep my flash fiction drabbles within my story. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Either way, I'm still writing. :)

#MotivationMonday

Title: Finality

(WIP#500)

We just wanted to be free, Alana thought as she and David stepped carefully through the wreckage of the town hall. There were burned bricks and broken bits of drywall all over the place. Shards of glass littered the floor from windows that had blown out. It looked like a bomb had gone off.

In some ways, it probably had.

Her life had been so simple before she moved back to Maine, and she couldn’t wait until it could be again. All they had to do was free themselves and free the world from the threat brought on by the Destroyers.. Now, everything was different. She was different.

She sighed as she walked gingerly through the somewhat clear path to the basement. There was no other place the Destroyers would have gone. The bell tower was in shambles and that was the only room left that her and David hadn’t investigated.

Clutching the spiral pendants at her neck, she hoped for strength from her grandmother and all the women before her, and opened the steel door that led to the beginning of the end.

----------------------------------------------------

#MenageMonday

(no title)

“Blessed are the meek,” the angel said.

“Really? Cause being meek got me into this position in the first place. If I had spoken up for myself, maybe I’d still be alive,” the ghost argued.

“But you will inherit the earth.”

“Ha, didn’t I already? I’m IN the earth! I definitely think I’ve already inherited it.”

The angel showed no sign of annoyance, merely looked on with that same peaceful gaze. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”

“Hello! I’m dead! What could I possibly be hungry for now?” The ghost swirled around the angel in agitation.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy,” the angel continued reciting Matthew.

“What mercy was I shown? I was murdered!”

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”

The ghost scoffed. “The only time I saw God was when I had an orgasm. Tell me, O Holy Angel, have you ever had an orgasm? I doubt it.”

The angel blushed.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

“If this is heaven, I want a redo.”

The angel sighed.

-------------------------------------------------

#5MinuteFiction

Title: Revelations

(#WIP500)

“Grab me a beer, will you?” David asked as he and Alana poured over the paperwork they copied from the town archives.

As Alana sat down next to him, she twisted the cap off of his beer and one she got for herself. They had been sitting at the table going over stacks of papers for several hours and Alana’s eyes were beginning to cross.

There was so much history in the town, which was remarkable for how small it was. David’s family was involved in just about every aspect of the town’s growth from a simple farm to what it was now. It wouldn’t be classified as a city but they had more than one stoplight.

“Find anything yet?” she asked, as she rubbed her forehead.

The difficult thing was they weren’t sure exactly what they were looking for, but hoped they would recognize it when they saw it, something that dealt with a battle between one of David’s ancestors and some of the same evil forces that were after Alana now.

Their beers were nearly empty when David jumped out of his chair. “Alana, I think I found it! Look!”

“What is it?” she asked, quickly leaning over what he had been reading.

“Here, look at this section here.” He pointed to an obscure paragraph that was nearly illegible due to fading and water-damage.

------------------------------------------

#TuesdayTales

Title: Game Show

“Pat, I’d like to buy a vowel. The letter ‘u,’ please.”

“All right, let’s see what you got!” The overly enthusiastic announcer turned toward the game board, his papery skin nearly transparent from one too many face-lifts.

Three letter boxes lit up and rotated forward.

“Pat, I’d like to solve the puzzle. The word is ‘Pulchritudinous.'"

An applause track burst harshly from the speakers overhead as the announcer began clapping, his thin arms flapping like bare tree branches. “You are correct! For the bonus, use the word in a sentence!”

“Botox can make someone pulchritudinous but not attractive.”

---------------------------------------------------

#ThursdayThreads

Title: Nerves

(#WIP500)

“Alana, what you possibly worried about? They will love you,” David said as he stood behind her, rubbing his hands up and down her arms. She fidgeted in front of the mirror, adjusting the same strands of hair over and over again.

“They knew my parents and my grandparents. What if I don’t live up to what they expect?”

“Alana, I know my parents. I’m telling you, you have nothing to worry about.”

She sighed, straightened her shirt, and turned to face David. “I hope you’re right.”

He pulled her face towards him and kissed her forehead. “I am. You look great, and yeah, you’re worth a million bucks, and you don’t give yourself enough credit.”

She blushed and looked away briefly. “How do you know just what to say?”

“It’s a gift,” he replied with a smirk. “My father taught me everything I know.”

-----------------------------------------------

#FridayPictureShow

Title: Hidden Clues

He laid the keys out, one by one, in specific order, in precise placement. He disregarded the chaos around him as he worked. He did not see the shambles of the room, or the destruction brought on by his many rages.

Each key stood for something. They were clues, clues that only he knew the answers to. He supposed that someone smart enough could figure it out, if they really tried.

With a pair of tweezers that he had bathed in bleach earlier, he carefully placed the final two keys and a slim, black button on the plate and waited.

-------------------------------------------------

Till next week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment