Friday, June 15, 2012

Long Time No See

So my blog has been neglected a lot of late. I didn't have updates on my novel or any flashes to post. I hadn't been doing flash fiction as much due to how crazy things were at work, and then once things slowed down, I needed to get back into the groove. This week has been a good week so far for flash. Looks like my mojo has returned!

Also some news:
I am hosting a picture prompt blog that is in the process of going live. The website is up but we don't have all the bios up for the authors. What we are doing is showcasing a different author each day and their writing based on two photo prompts.

The author for the day has the option of writing a prompt based on one of the pictures or both. The theme, length, content, whatever is completely up to the creativity and inspiration of the author, provided that they are able to tie in one or both of the photos. It is a fun writing exercise that we are all looking forward to starting. Keep an eye out for my tweets about the blog when we go live, or go to the blog directly and follow so you don't miss a single day.

#DailyPicspiration  DailyPicspiration

Some authors are published, some are just starting out. What we all share is a love of writing and a desire to grow together as writers. I hope you will come along for the journey.

To wrap things up, here are some of my flash fiction entries for the month of June. I will do another post with the ones from March to June separately.

----------------------------------------

#ThursdayThreads


Title: Till Death Do Us Part

The blood pool beneath his body was small compared to the size of the man. Morgan shook her head, not surprised that the cold, miserly man was just as cheap in death as he was in real life.

“That didn’t take long.”

Morgan scoffed. “Damn bastard never made me happy when he was alive, and now he can’t even give me something in his death.”

“Well, at least you are free of him now, right?”

“I suppose, Lane. Still disappointing, though. I was expecting so much more out of this.”

“Life is full of disappointments, sugar.” Lane shrugged his shoulders and started rolling up the plastic that covered Morgan’s deceased husband.

“Yep, and I was married to the biggest one of all.”  Morgan washed her hands and finally cracked a smile. “But, now I’m free of that horrible mistake of a man.”

Lane set down the body and wrapped his arms around Morgan’s waist. “And off to better things with me.”

For now, she thought.

-------------------------------------------

#55WordChallenge (Won this one! WOOT!)

Title: Bloody Reunion

He thought the heat from my skin was passion. He thought the tension in my body was from pleasure. He thought he knew me.

He didn’t.

He also didn’t know I saw him with my sister. He’d come tonight, but for the last time. I’d get my revenge with his blood flowing across my hands. 

----------------------------------------------

#TuesdayTales (Honorable Mention!)

Title: Vodka for Dummies

As I cracked my eyelids open, my eyes were blinded by the light of a thousand suns.  I groaned, rolling over and squeezing my eyes shut.

“Rise and shine.”

I grumbled and burrowed farther into the bed.

Rhys’ voice rumbled with laughter. “You can’t stay in bed all day.”

“Yes, I can. I’m royalty, damn it. Should be good for something,” I croaked into my pillow.

Rhys continued to chuckle as he poured a glass of water from the stand by our bed. “No matter how blue your blood may be, too much alcohol affects you just like everyone else.”

-----------------------------------------------

#MotivationMonday

Title: The Burning Words

The trouble started when they threw the book in the fire. The group of boys had taunted and dared one another to do the deed until finally one got up enough nerve. With a look of determination on his face, Tommy Thompson snatched the book from the bookbag that sat in the middle of them.

Without a pause, he chucked the old, hardbound book into the hungry flames. The edges began to burn even before the book landed at the bottom of the firepit. The flames eagerly licked the sides of the book, the stiff leather of the cover cracking and melting.

Tommy swore he thought he heard something as soon as the book began to burn, but he shrugged it off. The stories about the book were just that, stories. It wasn’t possible for the book to be haunted or to be the only physical entity that held back the Maligni.

“Did you hear that?” one of the younger boys asked, his eyes darting back and forth.

“Hear what, Gerald? Your knees knocking together?” Chris taunted. He was the bully of the group, always willing to ridicule anyone and everyone.

Gerald’s lip trembled as the other boys laughed. Tommy shook his head and huffed with disgust. He was tired of Chris’ taunts.

“Leave him alone, Chris,” Tommy said firmly. “It was probably just the wind.” Tommy hoped it was just the wind.

The bully turned to the taller boy. “You scared too, Tommy? I didn’t figure you for a chicken.”

Tommy chuckled but it was without humor. “Yet, I didn’t see you throwing the book in the fire, did I? That was me. So shut up.”

“Why don’t you make me, tough guy?” Chris continued to taunt. He picked up a large stick as he walked to the edge of the fire. As he continued to speak, he prodded the burning book with the dead wood. “Nothing but a stupid book anyway.”

As soon as he poked the book, a screeching wail surrounded them. The fire leapt up the length of the wood and wrapped around Chris’s body. Chris began screaming but couldn’t seem to let go of the stick.

The rest of the boy stood in shock, frozen in fear. The fire enveloped their friend, but didn’t seem to be burning him.
“I HAVE BEEN RELEASED!” a voice boomed, coming from Chris but much deeper and older than what the teenaged boy’s voice sounded like.

Gerald wet himself as the rest of the boys ran in every direction, whatever it took to get away from the hell they unleashed.

Tommy knew it was a bad idea to mess with the supernatural, even if it was supposed to only be a story. Chris was evidence that it was no story at all. Tommy ran until he reached a church. He threw the doors open and hid under a pew until he thought it was safe.

Too bad for him, no one was safe now.

--------------------------------------------------

#MenageMonday

Title: Blood Rites

Foreboding filled Tony as he approached the turn off to the Agua Fria National Monument area  Nothing good ever came out of being in such a desolate area. Sure there was some shrubbery and animal life, but people didn't live here for a reason. They tended to die out here.

Marco said it was a family affair. Of which, Tony could only imagine this was Marco's way of thinking out of the box for a sit down. Tony's Capo liked to be different. He still held to the rules of the family, but in his own unique way.

Way out in the middle of no where Arizona, no one would hear anything ... and any bodies left laying around would be picked over and desiccated before anyone was reported missing. Although, any smart person wouldn't bother doing a missing person's report. They would've known it was a fight to the death.

--------------

Thanks for reading - and I look forward to seeing you at the new blog when we go live. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment